Protein -Packed Vegetarian Chilli

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

We love chili in my house and I love tweaking things and finding new recipes to mix it up!  This time I went for a full vegetarian option!  I don't know that I have ever cooked with tofu!  I knew that my hunny wouldn't touch it if I told him what it was so I told him it was a surprise.  He loved it and didn't even guess that I snuck tofu passed his picky tastebuds!  We topped with plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream to lighten it up even more!  

Protein-Packed Vegetarian Chili
Adapted from Pretty Delicious
makes: 6 servings

You will need:
1 T Canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 package (14 oz)  of firm tofu, crumbled
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, deribbed, and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 1/2 T chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 t sea salt
1/2 t pepper
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Greek yogurt and scallions for garnish (optional)

To make:
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes.  Stir the tofu into the pot, then add the jalapeño (if desired), garlic, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.  Stir in the diced tomatoes ( with juices), reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is thick, about 45 minutes.

Add the beans and cook until the beans are warmed through, 5 to 8 minutes.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.  Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt and handful of scallions.



No comments: